Have you heard of VOCs? Confused about what they are, and the claims you see in painting advertisements? We’d like to clear up any confusion about VOCs, and let you know why they’re so important.
A ‘Volatile Organic Compound’ (VOC) is the source of that familiar ‘new paint’ smell. It is a gas which is emitted from paint for up to 5 years after it has been applied. VOCs are off gassed into environment, and inhaled, by you and your family. If you can smell that familiar new paint smell, you are inhaling these toxic gasses. Surprisingly, concentration of VOCs is up to 10x higher indoors than outdoors in many buildings, potentially leading to serious health problems They are harmful to humans and to the environment, with possible short- and long-term health effects.
• Eye, nose, and throat irritation
• Headaches, loss of coordination and nausea
• Damage to the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system
• Some VOCs can cause cancer in animals, some are suspected or known to cause cancer in humans.
• conjunctival irritation
• nose and throat discomfort
• allergic skin reaction
• declines in serum cholinesterase levels
It’s important to remember that every single paint on the market in Australia today has VOCs; there are NO paints that have zero VOCs, despite the claims you may see advertised. The reason you might see paints advertised as ‘Zero VOC’ or “VOC Free’, is that there's are no standards in Australia that define what "no voc " means, so the labels are arbitrary, at best. Instead of relying on this loophole, we prefer to be fully transparent with our valued clients. While technically we could advertise our paints as VOC free, we have decided to advertise Tartan Paints as ‘Ultra-Low VOC’. Ultra-Low VOCs paint give off almost no smell and are made from natural ingredients that provide a healthier choice of paints for humans and the environment.
• To reduce your intake of allergy-causing toxins
• To reduce the concentration of contaminants in the ozone layer, groundwater, and landfills
• It’s easier to clean with soap and water than other paints
• It has less odour and less impact on the quality of air in your home or office
• It’s less toxic and therefore causes fewer toxic emissions
• It performs well in terms of coverage and cleanability
• It’s quick drying
• It doesn’t yellow with age